401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
Access and Manage Your Account
You can manage your Atrium Health Retirement accounts online 24/7.
- Current Users: If you have a retirement plan account through another employer for which Empower is the service provider, please call Empower Retirement to obtain a Username and Password.
- First Time Users: Select the I Do Not Have a Pin tab. Follow the prompts to register.
For questions, contact Empower Retirement at 866-247-0970.
Teammates who are at least 18 years of age and work at least 16 hours per week are eligible to participate in the 401(k) plan after three months of service. PRNs are eligible to receive Basic and Performance-Based contributions.
Key Points About the 401(k) Plan
- You can contribute both pretax and post-tax dollars into your 401(k) up to 75% of your pay or the IRS contribution maximum ($19,500 in 2020)
- Your 401(k) account is portable; if you leave Atrium Health, you can take your account with you
- Account investment growth is tax-free until you withdraw funds during retirement
- Atrium Health provides a contribution match and employer contribution
How Does the 401(k) Plan Work?
Contributions: Teammates have the potential to receive 7 - 8% in Atrium Health contributions.
- After three months of service, you automatically will be enrolled in the Atrium Health 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan at a pretax contribution rate of 3% of eligible compensation.
- These contributions will be matched by Atrium Health based on how much you contribute.
- Atrium Health matches your contribution on each paycheck in which you make a contribution – up to limits determined by the IRS. Catch-up contributions are not matched.
||Atrium and Your Contribution
(regardless of whether you save through the plan)
||1 to 2%
(based on years of service and regardless of whether you save through the plan
|Total Annual Contribution
||6% or more
- Each year Atrium Health will contribute 2% of your pay to your account, regardless of whether you save through the plan
- Contribution made annually
Matching: (Teammates have the potential to receive up to 4%)
- Total maximum match is 4%. In order to receive the full 4% match, you must save 6% of your pay through the plan
- Atrium Health matches your contribution on each paycheck in which you make a contribution – up to limits determined by the IRS. Catch-up contributions are not matched
Performance-Based: (Teammates have the potential to receive 1-2%)
- This contribution is based on system performance, similar to the Atrium Health Performance Plus Incentive program
- When Atrium Health meets certain performance targets, your account can receive an additional contribution, based on your service as shown below
- Contribution made annually
|If you have
||Based on System Performance, your account receives:
|Less than 10 yrs
||1% of pay contribution
||1.5% of pay contribution
|20 or more yrs
||2% of pay contribution
Eligibility for Basic and Performance-Based contributions: You must complete 1,000 hours of service in a designated 12-month period to meet eligibility for Basic and Performance-Based contributions. You will become a participant on the last day of the month during which the 12-month period is completed. To receive Basic or Performance-Based contributions for a calendar year, you must complete 1,000 hours of service and terminate employment on or after normal retirement date or because of death or permanent disability.
This retirement savings option allows you to contribute pretax dollars.
ROTH After-Tax Contributions
This retirement savings option allows you to contribute Roth after-tax dollars.
This retirement savings option allows you to contribute additional pretax or Roth after-tax dollars if you are age 50 or older in the current calendar year. Catch-up contributions are not matched.
Vesting means the value of retirement plan contributions and earnings that belong to you.
You will be 100% vested in basic contributions made by Atrium Health after three years of credited service.
Matching & Performance-Based Contributions
- You are automatically 100% vested in your contributions, as well as matching and performance-based contributions made by Atrium Health.
- This means the value of your contributions and earnings and the value of the matching contributions and earnings are yours when you end employment, regardless of years of service.
- Performance-Based contributions are only available if you actively are employed at year-end.
- The plan allows rollovers.
- You can roll over account balances from other eligible retirement plans including IRAs.
- You are 100% vested in any rollover contributions.
- When you leave Atrium Health, you may roll over your account balances to an outside eligible retirement plan or IRA.
You may borrow from your account and pay yourself back through payroll deductions on an after-tax basis with interest. You may have only one loan outstanding at any one time.
Hardship withdrawals are available for emergencies as defined by the plan.
Limited to the following:
- Secondary Education Expenses
- Medical Expenses
- Prevention of Eviction
- Home Purchase
In-service withdrawals are available for teammates age 59 1/2 years or older.
This refers to withdrawing money from your account and can be requested upon retirement, when you leave Atrium Health or become disabled. The plan document and IRS rules govern when you or your beneficiaries must begin receiving a distribution.